DuPage for Progress is a nonpartisan grassroots organization headquartered in Lombard and currently the only political organization in DuPage County devoted to supporting progressive candidates in nonpartisan races.
DuPage for Progress identifies, recruits, and provides guidance to local candidates who commit to pursuing our common goals of diversity and inclusion, education, collaboration, rejecting “politics as usual,” and sustainability.
To help foster an honest, transparent and more progressive local government that is representative of the people it serves by recruiting and supporting diverse voices in our community who we believe will inspire positive change.
D4P prioritizes the recruitment of BIPOC, LGBTQI and women as candidates.
Diversity and Inclusion
- We believe that our public institutions are stronger when all voices are considered equally and when elected representation reflects the diversity of our community.
- We work to create a space in which BIPOC, LGBTQI and women will feel safe, fully supported and heard.
- We want to ensure that anyone who is passionate, progressive and invested is able to run for local office, regardless of how much time or money they are able to commit, or what their professional background and experiences might be.
- We educate voters by encouraging participation in local government through attending meetings, providing public comment, reviewing municipal budgets, and sharing information with friends and neighbors.
- In the absence of locally-owned, independent news organizations, we do our best to hold publicly elected officials accountable and help ensure they are acting as good public servants and responsible stewards of taxpayer money. We will accomplish this through a robust newsletter, blog posts, and social media engagement.
- We work closely with other established organizations in order to have a more broad and lasting effect.
- We provide support more than direction, and meet candidates “where they are at.”
- We emphasize action, process and learning by doing.
Rejecting “Politics as Usual”
- We reject the idea of politics as usual and “that’s just how it is.” Instead we practice transparency, model vulnerability and speak out when necessary.
- In a time of rapid climate change, we are committed to working with candidates who are good stewards of our environment.
- We believe that promoting sustainability from every level of government is not just beneficial but critically important.
- We strive to do our part to create a better community for future generations by establishing and supporting programs that encourage efficient energy use, water consumption, recycling, composting and sustainable public transportation.